The Washington Redskins have made a flurry of moves since the tampering period started at midnight EST on Friday, however, don’t expect Lorenzo Alexander to be the next signee.
Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that sources say Alexander has received interest from multiple teams, and Alexander told Rich Campbell of The Washington Times that, “I’m going to listen to other teams’ offers and see if the Redskins are willing to match.”
With the Redskins dealing with an $18-million cap penalty for breaking NFL rules in 2010, it will be difficult for the team to retain all its free agents, especially if they want to fill other needs as well. However, the potential loss of Alexander isn’t something to take lightly. The 2012 Pro Bowler was a captain on last year’s team, is considered one of the best special teamers in all of football, and is also one of the highest-character people in the NFL. The Redskins thrived because of special teams play last season, and losing their leader/multiple-time winner of their Walter Payton Man of the Year award winner will be a tough pill to swallow.
Alexander told me last month that his preference was to stay with the Redskins, however he would also be comfortable testing the free agent market. Alexander also told Marvez that the Redskins made him an offer prior to the start of unofficial free agency, however he said the offer was not impressive.
For continued updates on this story and all things Washington Redskins, be sure to stay tuned to All Over The Hill!